Get Started span>

Reply To: Is it worth investing time in learning Music Theory for Electronic Music?

Vishal Sehgal
Participant

The plugins which you have mentioned above will surely help but just like samples a lot of people will get their hands on it and you won’t be able to stick out from the rest of the crowd.

I have done the Foundation course from KM Music Conservatory. It is the entrance level diploma course in which they teach you about all the basics that a musician should know, from Music theory to composing, branding, performance and a lot more. We would have history classes where we would learn about the music from the Medieval period up till now.

you might say “why do I need to know about what the music sounded like in C.1150” and true you don’t need to if you’re main goal is to just be an EDM producer but say, for someone who has to right a score for a film or tv you can’t stick to a 4/4 time signature or just use basic chord progressions, there’s certain amount of technicality that comes into play with your creativeness which you can achieve if you do know music theory, a lot of the things get very easier.

I really encourage that every musician should learn at least up to level 4 of music theory. There’s so many technical things you will learn that will help you in the long run, it will help you with the composing, arrangement, writing melodies, harmonies and so much more and theoretically speaking you will know how to play majority of the instruments that are out there, I’m not saying you’ll be good at it but you’ll know how to play it.

Who’s Online

There are no users currently online

Members